Tuesday 27 October 2015

2 BY DAN FANTE

2 from Dan Fante this week.

Dan’s biography at Fantastic Fiction tells us he’s been around the block a few times……

Dan Fante was born and raised in Los Angeles. At twenty, he quit school and hit the road, eventually ending up as a New York City resident for twelve years. Fante has worked at dozens of crummy jobs including: door to door salesman, taxi driver, window washer, telemarketer, private investigator, night hotel manager, chauffeur, mailroom clerk, deck hand, dishwasher, carnival barker, envelope stuffer, dating service ounsellor, furniture salesman, and parking attendant. Fante is married and has a two year old son named Michaelangelo Giovanni Fante. He hopes eventually to learn to play the harmonica.




His father was author John Fante, noted for his Bandini Quartet of novels, which sits somewhere in the piles.

He has a series of 4 books with his protagonist Bruno DanteMooch and Spitting are the second and third in the series. Chump Change and 86’d open and close the series. His most recent novel was Point Doom in 2013, which I have but haven’t yet read (unsurprisingly) and there a biography of his father, enigmatically titled Fante which looks interesting, but I may have to pass on it.

I did read his short story collection – Corksucker (Short Dog in the US) a few years ago. Review here.



Dan Fante has a website here.






















Mooch (2000)

Bruno Dante is trying to straighten out selling printer supplies for a company ruled by a straight, militaristic disciplinarian. Unfortunately for Bruno, a former gangbanger, lap-dancer and crackhead called Jimmi turns up and soon he's back in free fall.












Spitting off Tall Buildings (2001)


Bruno Dante - aspirant playwright and long-time drunk - has hitch-hiked cross country, escaping the sunshine of LA, for the more cynical climate of New York. He should fit right in. But if there's money for beer he's sure to fuck things up.

12 comments:

  1. Another new writer and series for me, Col. I liked the way the character's name, Dante, is derived from the author's own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the series of books may be semi-autobiographical in tone, or at least draw on his own life experiences, which may explain the character's name.

      Delete
  2. Both Dante and Fante have certainly had interesting lives, Col! I think that sort of premise - the character whose had all sorts of jobs - can give the author some flexibility for writing different kinds of stories. I hope you'll like these. Oh, and those are attention-getting titles, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He (they) certainly seem to have had a lot of life experiences, which definitely offers potential for writing material, though you still need the talent to translate that into entertaining books. From my experience of his short stories Fante definitely has.

      Delete
  3. Not sure these are for me, to be honest, but thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a brave lad who follows in his father’s footsteps when the old man was so talented and well known. Dan Fante should be worth reading, even if he writes only half as well as his famous father. John Fante’s LA novel, ASK THE DUST, is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elgin thanks. I hope to read some from his father also. I have ASK THE DUST as part of his Bandini Quartet. Maybe next year I'll knock the dust off it. Looking forward to it!

      Delete
  5. The father's name sounds familiar, I must check out to see if I've read him. These books sound like the kind of thing that might tempt me if I didn't have so much else lying around....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ASK THE DUST is probably his father's best known work. I think I'll enjoy both generation's work.

      Delete
  6. Very interesting author. I await your reviews. I did read the Corksucker review and those sound interesting too.

    Today is my birthday. Last week was your birthday... exactly a week ago? Glen's was in early October. Glen and I are getting older faster than you though. Anyway, belated Happy Birthday. Sorry I missed it then. I am off work for a few days and thinking clearer now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy - many happy returns for your birthday. I hope you have an enjoyable day (and few days off work.) Belated regards to Glen. Yes mine was a week ago. The years seem to go by so quickly now. Maybe because we all seem to lead busier lives.

      I hope I get to a couple of my Dan Fante books soon. Then you can see what you think.

      Delete