Friday 12 December 2014

LAWRENCE BLOCK - ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS A WORD

Synopsis/blurb.........

It's not hard to figure out where "One Thousand Dollars a Word" came from. The situation it describes was authentic enough, although I never heard of anyone who found the protagonist's particular solution to this dilemma. 

Back in the first half of the twentieth century, and even well into the 1950s, a prolific writer could make a respectable living writing short fiction for magazines. There was a great profusion of markets; the better ones paid generously, and even the markets of last resort would put food on a writer's table. 

TV and paperback books changed everything. Magazines folded left and right, not to mention right and left. The ones that survived were hardly thriving. They had to hold the line, and they did so by making their payment to writers the world's sole hedge against inflation. Everything else went up in price; a writer's words stayed where they were, or drifted gently downward. Some writers crossed the street to write paperback novels, or crossed the country to write television shows. But there were others who were born to write short stories, and that left them high and dry, and even dry and high. 

Thus this story. It was, as you might imagine, hugely popular among writers; Whenever our paths crossed, one colleague simply intoned, "One. Thousand. Dollars. A. Word," sighed, and walked off shaking his head. It's been anthologized from time to time over the years, and I included it in Sometimes They Bite as well as my omnibus collection, Enough Rope. 

Its first appearance, ironically enough, was in Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine in 1978, where it earned its creator the munificent sum of 5¢ a word.


Another short, short, short piece.....16 pages, but they all count in my world.

Interesting premise for a story and from a writer's perspective the thoughts and sentiments probably apply just as much today. An entertaining 15 minutes of reading, made all the more enjoyable by the fact this was free at the point of purchase over on Amazon!

It has served as a useful reminder that I have been neglecting Mr Block's unread pile of books for a while now. Borderline soon, followed by some more Scudder books next year.

4 from 5

Amazon UK download


8 comments:

  1. Col, I'm guilty of neglecting Lawrence Block's novels too. I'm aware that he is a terrific writer and I do hope to get around to three of his books that I have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In an ideal world I'd read the rest of the Scudder series I have outstanding back to back. That would be a fun month's reading.

      Delete
  2. This sounds good - I like the concept. And I sympathize - journalists have watched their earnings going down dramatically with all that free content out there on the internet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes It's a relevant topic in all forms of writing I suppose. Everyone wants something for nothing or for less than before. I'm no different. My work life in a different field experiences the same thing as our customers try and squeeze us every new tender or contract., while our costs rise.

      I'm surprised there is still a daily print media TBH.

      Delete
  3. I loved the Keller book I read - such a great premise to be able to make one enjoy an amoral hitman. I suspect I'd probably like his burglar series too - *adds to list*.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki - agreed. I read the first Keller and loved it. I think there's 4 in total - possibly 5 maybe. I think Keller is up there with Scudder for me. Bernie the Burglar a bit behind, but not by much.

      Delete
  4. Going to be reading some Lawrence Block, but not short stories. Although I do have a big thick book of his short stories and I am sure they are good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I have the same book of short stories. It seems quite daunting - maybe 700 plus pages from memory. Looking forward to seeing what you try.

      Delete