Tuesday 4 February 2014

JAKE HINKSON - SAINT HOMICIDE


Synopsis/blurb....

“The other inmates call him Saint Homicide, the murderous man of God who heeded the voice of wrath when it told him to do the unthinkable.

Many consider him a fanatic. Others see him as a prophet. And some simply think he’s insane.

Here, he tells his story.”

I needed something short and sharp to kick-start my reading this year into life – it’s the back end of January and I feel like I’m in a slump already – even though the books I have read so far have, with just the one exception all been pretty palatable.

Last year, I read and enjoyed Hinkson’s Hell on Church Street and despite having his Posthumous Man already waiting on my kindle. I plumped for his latest offering which I recently acquired from the Crime Factory guys in Australia.



Totally irrelevant to my reading pleasure – but the cover for this isn't as eye-catching as the previous Hinkson book I enjoyed.


Hell on Church Street review is here.

Saint Homicide is a quick, easy read and focuses on the same theme as Hell on Church Street – religion of the bible-thumping Evangelical type.

Daniel, our narrator tells his story from his prison cell. He’s a man of God, a lay preacher with an unshaken faith in serving his lord. In Daniel’s world - tolerance, forgiveness and compassion is in short supply. You batten down the hatches whilst struggling against your own lustful demons and you wreak vengeance on the sinners that displease your intolerant saviour............and then you get to languish in the joint.

Funny, dark, grotesque and a little bit scary........people like this actually exist! Now where’s my box of snakes?   

4 from 5


Bought late last year direct from The Crime Factory. Their website is here.

The author's blog is here.

12 comments:

  1. Col - Ah, the good folks at Crime Factory. I've read some things from them too. Glad you enjoyed this one. Sounds like quite a character!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A great story Margot. Just what I needed at the time!

      Delete
  2. I remember buying Hell on Church Street and the topic sounds really interesting to me. IDK, I find myself drawn to stories that mix religion and crime. *shrug*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think on the author's blog he says this one has just been released on Kindle - which is more up your street.
      I do like religion in books, especially Southern US crime fiction - there seems to be a lot of fanaticism around. Snake handling and cults and gun nuts.
      Have you tried any Harry Crews stuff - more literary than crime but I did enjoy his Feast of Snakes, amongst other stuff

      Delete
    2. Harry Crews I've heard of but never read. Will check out that title. Thanks!

      Delete
    3. Not too much religion attached to this title, but I loved this book anyway. Worth dropping it on you.

      Delete
  3. Can't decide whether this would be too much, or a good read - I like some aspects of it, but don't know how gruesome it gets - what's your verdict?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moira, hmm.......I'll sent it you - it won't cost anything as it really is a small short book and you're down the road. It'll be maybe an hour and a half of your life invested in it, so not too much lost if you don't enjoy it.
      It's a little bit coarse and a little bit bawdy in places......which we know is more me than you....but I don't think you'll be as apoplectic as your typical Guardian book commentator. Who knows I might turn you to the dark side yet!
      One of my dogs didn't like it much as he beat me to it when the postman dropped it off - but I'm sure you'll be fine reading around the teethmarks!

      Delete
  4. I need to read some "quick, easy read" books as I find myself ploughing through the vintage stuff I usually read. This way I'll at least increase the number of books read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This type of book or some short stories will be the way to go I reckon. I want to get some Vintage reading done myself.

      Delete
  5. I am also on the fence about this one, so it can wait while I get out from under huge piles of TBR books. The author's blog is nice though, which is promising.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've looked at his blog a couple of times, i think he's a big film fan/critic. I'm sure I'll jog your memory when I eventually get around to reading his other book.

      Delete