Friday 3 January 2014

DECEMBER, 2013 - READING LIST

An enjoyable month to finish off a fantastic year reading wise. I managed 11 books in the month, which was slightly less than I had hoped for after a fair few in November, but work commitments and tiredness and Christmas all played a part in slowing me down.

Of the 11 books read, 8 of them were new authors for me, 2 were by P.D. Viner - a great discovery! With the possible exception of Helgason, I would happily read all of them again in the future.

My reading allowed me to visit the following locations: Spain, Denmark, Germany, Russia, Las Vegas, San Francisco, Manchester, London, Durham, Glasgow, New York, Iceland and North Carolina amongst other places.

I managed to just about stay the course on my own 2 personal reading challenges that I had to complete - Scandinavian Crime Fiction and Award winning crime. Plus I read my Goodreads Pulp Fiction group book of the month for the whole year. Happy days!

Nothing stank the place out, with the previously mentioned Helgason's book still enjoyable, just missing the X-factor ingredient for me. All the rest rocked, with 3 books gaining top score from me.

Mackay - Cash -Viner - can share the accolade jointly for December's book of the month.

Leif Davidsen - Lime's Photograph (4)

Andrew Peters - Subtraction (4)

Daniel Curzon - Halfway To The Stars (4)

Roger A. Price - By Their Rules (4)


P.D. Viner - The Sad Man (4)

P.D. Viner - The Last Winter of Dani Lancing (5)

Malcolm Mackay - How a Gunman Says Goodbye (5)

Charlie Huston - The Mystic Arts of Erasing All Signs of Death (4)

Hallgrimur Helgason - The Hitman's Guide to Housecleaning (3)

Wiley Cash - This Dark Road to Mercy (5)

Gregory McDonald - Fletch (4)






10 comments:

  1. Col, a good number in spite of all your commitments. Besides, you read a variety of new books by new writers whose novels were set in several countries, which is something I need to do myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prahsant thanks. Not too bad a way to end the year, I'm hoping for a lot more of the same in 2014!

      Delete
  2. Wow, eight new authors in one month. That is overwhelming. I am glad you had a good December, it is always good to end the year well.

    The one that is the most intriguing here is The Last Winter of Dani Lancing. It will be a while before I act on it because of cutting back on buying books and reading what I have for awhile... but someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Tracy. Too many new authors maybe, that can lead me towards - too many additional books wanted, especially if they aren't all debut books, that I have read.
      Perhaps that would be a good rule to implement - no more no new authors on the TBR pile?

      I hope you can allow yourself Dani Lancing at some point in 2014, I'm sure you would like it.

      Delete
  3. Sounds it was an excellent reading month Col. Good for you. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jose thank you. Good luck with your reading for 2014!

      Delete
  4. Very impressive - - like Tracy I think 8 new authors is quite a total. You have sold me on Dani Lancing and it is on my Kindle now. I have to do some train travel soon so may get to it then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moira thanks. I hope Dani Lancing is enjoyable for you and I'll look forward to hearing about it.

      Delete
  5. Col - You've had a great month of reading. And I too am quite impressed with the number of new-to-you-authors you've read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot, thank you. A nice way to end the year.

      Delete