Thursday 7 September 2017

AUGUST 2017 - FILMS AND TV

Not my most satisfying month's viewing, a few films - two of them a bit weird and some more TV. I'm still narked that I can't persuade the family to watch The Legend of Barney Thomson with me!

Okja (2017)
A bit of a weird one from Netflix. Features Paul Dano and Tilda Swinton and a massive pig-like animal. I've not seen much of Dano since Little Miss Sunshine and I can't recall anything with Swinton before. An alright film, a bit of a diatribe on big corporations (bad) and some environmental activists (good) racing to the rescue.

For 10 idyllic years, young Mija has been caretaker and constant companion to Okja - a massive animal and an even bigger friend - at her home in the mountains of South Korea. But that changes when family-owned, multinational conglomerate Mirando Corporation takes Okja for themselves and transports her to New York, where an image-obsessed and self-promoting CEO has big plans for Mija's dearest friend. With no particular plan but single-minded in intent, Mija sets out on a rescue mission.



Bull (2016)
Ongoing series watch of this fanciful (or could it be a real thing) series, about a team of geeks led by Michael Weatherley second-guessing jury behaviours and trying to manipulate trial outcomes in the favour of their wronged client. Bull might be the new Perry Mason in that he'll never lose a case, well rarely.

Dr. Jason Bull is the charming and cocky founder of successful trial consulting firm Trial Analysis Corporation, where he and his team of experts employ psychology, human intuition and high-tech data to understand jurors, lawyers, witnesses and defendants, and construct effective narratives to help their clients win. Bull's team include his brother-in-law Benny, neurolinguistics expert Marissa, former detective Danny, hacker Cable, and Chunk, who helps perfect clients' appearances for trial. "Bull" is inspired by the early career of Dr. Phil McGraw, who also serves as executive producer.


2 Guns (2013)

I'm a bit of a Wahlberg fan and Denzel is usually pretty watchable so a winner here. Plenty of action and laughs, as well as a fair bit of violence. 
For the past year, DEA agent Bobby Trench (Denzel Washington) and U.S. Navy intelligence officer Marcus Stigman (Mark Wahlberg) have been working under cover as members of a narcotics syndicate. The twist: Neither man knows that the other is an undercover agent. When their attempt to infiltrate a Mexican drug cartel and recover millions goes haywire, the men are disavowed by their superiors. Trench and Stigman must go on the run lest they wind up in jail or in a grave.


Game of Thrones Season 7 (2017)
Despite not being upto speed on all the happenings in the previous six seasons (I was watching religiously until my family carried on viewing without me when I was at work one time, so I then threw a hissy fit and stopped watching) it was easy to get into. Family verdict - not the best series, things seemed a bit rushed. It was worth a look and hard to ignore even if I'd wanted to.
Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986)

First time watch of a 30-year old classic. Enjoyable. The highlight was seeing a young fresh faced Charlie Sheen.
Ferris Bueller (Matthew Broderick) has an uncanny skill at cutting classes and getting away with it. Intending to make one last duck-out before graduation, Ferris calls in sick, "borrows" a Ferrari, and embarks on a one-day journey through the streets of Chicago. On Ferris' trail is high school principal Rooney (Jeffrey Jones), determined to catch him in the act.


High-Rise (2015)
Weird and a reminder of why I avoid reading dystopian fiction.

High-Rise is a 2015 British dystopian drama directed by Ben Wheatley, starring Tom Hiddleston, Jeremy Irons, Sienna Miller, Luke Evans, and Elisabeth Moss. It was produced by Jeremy Thomas through his production company Recorded Picture Company. Its screenplay was written by Amy Jump and based on the 1975 novel of the same name by British writer J. G. Ballard.

The film is set in a luxury tower block during the 1970s. Featuring a wealth of modern conveniences, the building allows its residents to become gradually uninterested in the outside world. The infrastructure begins to fail and tensions between residents become apparent, and the building soon descends into chaos.

10 comments:

  1. Interesting and varied group here, Col. I like Denzel Washington, too, and Wahlberg has matured nicely as an actor, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot. I think you're spot on with your assessment of Mark Wahlberg. I've enjoyed watching him over the past couple of years.

      Delete
  2. How did you miss Ferris Bueller all these years? I haven't seen it for decades and don't plan to...I have fond memories of it and suspect it won't hold up to those

    I saw High Rise at the movies when it came out - I still don't really know what the point was :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the name of the film always put me off. I had to be arm-twisted to pay attention this time around.

      Ditto that on High-Rise - at least I never paid anything!

      Delete
  3. Bull lives up to its name in content, but is a fun no-effort watch. Ferris Bueller was still fun when I happened to catch it a while back, although I've slipped several age groups since I first saw it! Having struggled through a couple of the Barney Thomson books with their slap stick humour, I think the film will also be an acquired taste, but may be worth a look one wet weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bull.....indeed, but yes a fun no-effort watch.
      I did enjoy the Barney film maybe a bit more than the last book I read with him in it. Douglas Lindsay has written more than just Barney Thomson and I've enjoyed him....titles elude me.

      Delete
  4. Col – I missed 2 GUNS when it was out, and never heard of HIGH-RISE. I could use a good action flick with laughs, and my wife is a Tom Hiddleston fan. So those two are on the To Watch list. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be curious to see what you make of High-Rise when you get their. I won't be tracking down Ballard's book, that's for sure. 2 Guns was worth the effort. Enjoyable without being especially memorable.

      Delete
  5. I wasn't aware of 2Guns or High Rise but the casts seem good so maybe we will watch them someday. We are looking forward to season 2 of Bull.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bull is good fun. I would be curious for your take on High-Rise, obviously it's some kind of commentary on the class system and society. But I was kind of left baffled and unfulfilled.

      Delete