Saturday 25 March 2017

SIMON MALTMAN - MORE FACES (2017)


Synopsis/blurb….

More Faces is a crime short story collection from A Chaser on the Rocks author Simon Maltman. The twelve mystery noirs included feature published and previously unpublished stories and all series shorts currently available. Take a journey across Northern Ireland, through the beauty and darkness, with the fresh new voice in Irish Crime Fiction.

"I’m amazed how a writer can cram so much into such a short space of narrative. You hit the ground running and it’s a sprint finish."
Crime Book Junkie

“A punchy tale, told plainly, with plenty of pace… of old fashioned thuggery and backstreet skullduggery.”
Murder, Mayhem and More

“a snappy read that gives a fresh glimpse into a life of crime and where it can lead you.”
Writing.ie

Another new-to-me author and a collection of short stories – I’ve been reading a few of them lately.

Northern Ireland based and with a few repeat characters in the collection. We have a PI, Billy Chapman from the 1940s in a few stories. I did enjoy the football based one with a mention of the long defunct club Belfast Celtic. I used to know an old guy in Luton who played for them back in the day.

The more contemporary set ones were more my cup of tea, especially the set with professional heister Blake – Night at the Opera has a great pay-off. The favourite was Riot Score though. Post Good Friday agreement there’s still trust issues when law breakers from divided communities come together to achieve a score. Set against the back-drop of a street riot – very tense, very satisfying.

A couple of interesting standalone stories as well, mixing politics, coffee and killings.

Overall an enjoyable and satisfying collection. Caned them in an afternoon and evening’s reading.

4 from 5

Simon Maitland has a Facebook presence here and is on Twitter - @simonmaltman

Read in March, 2017
Published 2017
Page count – 158
Source – ARC from the author.
Format – PDF file read on the laptop.


12 comments:

  1. I do like the setting, Col. And it's always nice, isn't it, to find a few gems among a collection. Glad you enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot thanks - I'm originally from Ireland but have only visited the North in my reading!

      Delete
  2. Col – Thanks for the review. I had not heard of this writer. Amazon lists several books by him. Irish noir is really a growing field. The genre is in stark contrast to the “Quiet Man” image of Ireland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the back drop to a lot of the stories. I'm currently reading something shortish by another Irish writer from the north - Gerard Brennan. He's highly recommended.

      Delete
    2. Brennan is on my radar and I look in on his blog from time to time. Another Irish author writing mysteries set in the north is Adrian McKinty. I enjoy his work, and I know you've read some of his Sean Duffy books.

      Delete
    3. I've neglected Brennan for a few years - now corrected - and I ought to read another from the Sean Duffy series soon.

      Delete
  3. Col, I don't I have ever read an entire book on my laptop or computer. I'm most comfortable reading ebooks on the tab. Thanks for the introduction to yet another writer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prashant you're welcome. Its not my preferred format, but I can cope with it - just about!

      Delete
  4. These stories sound good and worth a try. Glad that you enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy cheers. I seem to be reading a few more collections of late.

      Delete
  5. Love that cover picture. I find it easier to resist short stories than novels, so can probably pass on this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently its the Albert Clock which until recently used to be Belfast's equivalent of the Pisa tower. Quite a clever cover and book title - More Faces than the Albert Clock - a Belfast saying.

      Delete