Thursday 2 June 2016

APRIL 2016 - FILMS AND TV

Not as much watched as in March, or perhaps not as much remembered.......1 trip to the cinema, 7 films watched on TV and a couple of TV series thrown in - 1 finished, another 1 started.

Episode 6 of 6 and a fitting finale. Hugh Lawrie was pretty good throughout, though I found the Corky character more menacing. Olivia Colman – superb as always. Almost had me rushing off to the loft to find the book in one of the tubs (tub 63 to be exact), but I resisted the impulse.

Saturday night trip to the cinema with my wife and some friends. More enjoyable than the last Coen Brothers flick – Inside Llewyn boring Davis. Funny in places, I’d watch it again, but won’t be rushing to buy the DVD when it’s released. 

Amazing, it doesn’t get much better than Gene Hackman in his prime as Popeye Doyle. An all-time classic. Rod Steiger is pretty good too. If it was on the box tomorrow, I’d re-watch it in a flash.

Disappointing after the first one, but I’m glad I watched it. Not a patch on the original. No Steiger and Hackman spends most of the film in a drugs induced haze. I kind of envied him, as I watched it. It does liven up a bit towards the end, but in truth it couldn’t have gone any slower at that point.   

My son is a fan of this, but I’d never heard of it. Series 3 is airing currently. My wife and I watched the first couple of episodes via NetFlix. The Peaky Blinders were a criminal gang from Birmingham around the turn of the last century, so named for the razors they concealed in the caps. We open in post WW1 Birmingham…….illegal gambling, the IRA, stolen guns, PTSD, Communist agitators and worker unrest and a brutal Police Chief shipped in from Belfast,  fresh from routing Republicans with a femme fatale in tow. Sam Neill is fairly intimidating as the Police Chief seeking the guns on Churchill’s explicit orders.

1950 war film with Trevor Howard behind enemy lines orchestrating resistance to the Germans. Okay, I’ve seen a lot worse in my time. 

Taped more in hope than expectation, but I really really enjoyed it. Brad Pitt and his unruly band of cohorts roam around behind enemy lines casting fear and dread into the hearts of the Nazis. Christopher Waltz as Col. Hans Landa steals the show.

2014 adaptation of the Patricia Highsmith book. I like Viggo Mortensen and I like Kirsten Dunst. Pretty good for most of it, but a bit plodding in places. Watched about six weeks ago and I can’t for the life of me remember the ending and I’m 99% certain I didn’t doze off. Does that say more about the film or more about me? 

Bio-pic of the Kray Twins featuring Tom Hardy as both Ronnie and Reggie. Fact blended probably with a dose of fiction. I enjoyed it.

60’s horror film with Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. Also featuring a young Roy Castle. Something about tarot cards creep me out. An easy hour and a half’s viewing.

20 comments:

  1. Col, I didn't realise there was sequel to "The French Connection." I'm going to check it out. I liked "Inglorious Basterds," equally so for Christopher Waltz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prashant, I wasn't aware wither until I was checking a weekend magazine to see what films were popping up for the following week. I might have enjoyed it more if I hadn't watched it in such close proximity to the first.

      Agreed on Inglorious and Waltz then!

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed The Night Manager despite its dull moments. Hugh Laurie was great but you're right about Corky. The book was an uneven read for me but I'm glad to have read it. I've been meaning to watch Peaky Blinders. Loved Inglorious Bastards after trying to watch it 3 times. My sister pushed me to give it another look. I generally enjoy Quentin Tarantino movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll leave the book awhile longer then. I wasn't even aware of Peaky Blinders until my son instructed us to watch it. I'm enjoying it but haven't yet caught up - 5 down with 1 to go on the first series. Inglorious probably tied with the first French Connection as my top watch in the month.

      Delete
  3. I thought Inglorious Basterds was a good film, too, Col. And I'm glad you enjoyed Hail Caesar!. I generally enjoy the Coen brothers' work. I like Peaky Blinders a lot, too. I think it's got a very good sense of place and time, and I do like some of the characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot, I've been a wee bit disappointed by the last couple of Coen Brothers films, though this was an improvement on the one before in my opinion. Loved Inglorious so I'm glad to find another fan! Agreed too on Peaky Blinders - there's a lot to like.

      Delete
  4. Look to be some good ones there. I haven't seen Odette in decades, but remember it (and the book) fondly. Thanks for the reminder about Two Faces of January; the library should be getting it in about now . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realise it was based on a book, though I'll probably not go after it. Still I'm curious to look up who authored it.

      I'm tempted to try and catch the last 20 minutes of Two Faces again, as forgetting what happened is bugging me!

      Delete
    2. Didn't realise either it was based on a true story!

      Delete
  5. Glad you enjoyed THE NIGHT MANAGER. We were glued to the TV during it and my wife has a new favorite star – Tom Hiddleston. I agree with you on Olivia Colman, she was terrific.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to see more of his work adapted. I've seen a few films of his work - A MOST WANTED MAN, TINKER TAILOR, THE CONSTANT GARDENER and THE TAILOR OF PANAMA and enjoyed them all.
      I've just looked the list of them up and there's a few I'm missing, so I'll put them on the list!

      Olivia Colman is very good, have you seen BROADCHURCH? It's worth catching for her alone.

      I've corrected my Colman/Coleman typo, which is ironic. Her last name is the same as my Christian name and I feel insulted when at least 5 out of 10 people stick the non-existent "e" in the middle of it - even family members!

      Delete
    2. Friday night and Saturday, we binged on the first season of BROADCHURCH. It was excellent. Thanks for the recommendation. Now, on to season two.

      Delete
    3. Happy days - glad you both enjoyed it!

      Delete
  6. Buongiorno. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krtnt191Drg

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw Inglorious Basterds and liked it much more than I thought I would. I thought the violence would be too overwhelming. I enjoyed French Connection but never saw French Connection 2... never got a copy. Some day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might have enjoyed FRENCH CONNECTION 2 more if I had left a bit more of a gap between it and the first. I'll be interested to hear how you get on with it. I'm a fan of Gene Hackman usually. I really liked MISSISSIPPI BURNING.

      I was the same with you regarding INGLORIOUS BASTERDS, though not through a fear of too much violence. Sometimes Tarantino goes a bit off plot.

      Delete
  8. Yes to Night Manager, of course, and impressed that you know which tub to find the book! My main other eye-catcher was Kirsten Dunst's hat on the January poster - I was going to a wedding when the film came out, and I searched and searched for a hat like hers, it was exactly what I wanted. (and found one close to it, presumably costing one tenth of Kirsten's)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the ardous cataloguing eventually bears fruit! Yes, I bet Kirsten's wasn't cheap.

      Delete