Friday 27 May 2016

MARCH 2016 - FILMS AND TV

A mega months viewing......

First trip to the cinema in the month, not too bad........a lot of grunting and groaning, plenty of grrrrs and aaarghs; a bit over-long - my arse cheeks were complaining by the end of it. Visually fantastic, I'm still not Leo's biggest fan.

A TV viewed film  - I'm not Jude Law's biggest fan either. It had its moments but two months on I'm struggling to remember the plot. Forgettable really! 

Last in a mini TV series about some lads getting killed off on a Stag do in Scotland. Dozed off twenty minutes from the end of the final episode which probably sums up my overall take on it. 

Series finale  - pretty bloody good! Based around some characters created by Ann Cleeves - Shetland Island and Jimmy Perez

Can't beat a bit of Jason! Pretty deep as far as his films go.........PTSD in a veteran and a life on the streets. Not sure he was supposed to get upto that with a nun though.
 Homeless and on the run from a military court martial, a damaged ex-special forces soldier navigating London's criminal underworld seizes an opportunity to assume another man's identity -- transforming into an avenging angel in the process. (REDEMPTION in the US)

First 5 episodes - boom very good indeed. Time to read something from Le Carre!

Another film on the telly. A bit of Brit grit. Hard hitting - friendship, death, drugs and getting out from under!

1946 Hitchcock - though I do have Duran Duran's tune going around my head! The B.I.G - Lil' Kim - Puff Daddy version. Quite an enjoyable film.

Amazing film - quite disturbing, highly watchable. I have an interest in the subject matter. Who'd want to be a British troop stranded in a Nationalist area in the early 70s? 

Another hard-hitting film. Israeli in origin - with subtitles. Shot and viewed entirely from the confines of a tank during an incursion into Lebanon. Not for the faint-hearted.

First one I have seen without Matt Damon - fairly good, but I couldn't tell you too much about it two months after the event.

Pretty good. I do like Christian Bale and Bradley Cooper. Plenty of dodgy fashion - big suits, wide lapels - was it the 70s or the 80s? Thankfully fashions have changed!

Another TV viewed Brit-Grit film! Residents of a tower block under attack - the price you pay for ignoring someone in need of help.

A bit of classic Clint! Loved it. 

Second cinema trip - enjoyable, but a bit flatter than I'd hoped for. I do like Maggie Smith - another national treasure!

Decent film - held my attention. Pacino and Farrell are both very watchable. CIA - SPY school theme.

Season 1 - 5 episodes binge watched and I've not yet got back to it. Fair to say it hasn't really taken off for me yet - enjoyable though.

Second viewing for me - the sort of film you can enjoy without troubling the brain too much. I do like old Bruce!


Pick of the month - '71, recommended viewing!

14 comments:

  1. Col, you watched some great movies and series. I have avoided THE REVENANT so far. On the other hand, I want to see ESCAPE FROM ALCATRAZ again. I'd also like to check out 71 and LEBANON (enjoy those kind of films) and the TV series THE NIGHT MANAGER.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prashant - I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on '71 and Lebanon when you catch up with them. I probably saw Escape From Alcatraz before when I was much younger, but I think I enjoyed it more this time around.

      Delete
  2. So glad you had some good viewing this month, Col. And you're not the first to recommend '71> to me, either. I hope that you get the chance to read John le Carré; I think he's awfully talented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot thanks. I hope you find time to see '71 and I'd be interested in your reaction. Le Carre - I'm on holiday for a week soon - I'll try and take one of his with me!

      Delete
  3. Wow, that is a lot of viewing. I love the Die Hard series. The 4th one is my favorite, and the one you watched is the least favorite, but I can watch Bruce anytime.

    I will have to look into The Recruit. Anything related to spies sounds good. Notorious is one of my favorite movies of all time. Although North by Northwest is my favorite Hitchcock.

    Lots of other interesting viewing in this list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like Bruce Willis and the Die Hard series are some of his best I think. I think you'll enjoy The Recruit when you watch it.
      I don't know that I have a favourite Hitchcock to be truthful. I have a box set of 15 of his films which I'm working through albeit at a snail's pace. Vertigo I've enjoyed and Rope. I like James Stewart!

      Delete
    2. Speaking of Bruce, have you tried "Red" (and there is a second one, "Red 2")? Those are great fun.

      Delete
    3. Glen - spooky timing. RED 2 was on the box last night, so I've recorded it to watch in the next week or two. Not seen RED the original though, hopefully it won't matter.

      Delete
    4. We watched Red 2 last night for the 2nd time. I did not remember much about it so it was lots of fun. Some of it may not make a lot of sense without having seen the first one, but it is not a movie that has to make sense.

      Delete
    5. I'll maybe wait a couple of weeks and see if I can track down the first one before watching RED 2.

      Delete
  4. Col – “71” was a terrific film. And, just this week, saw the finale of “The Night Manager.” It was excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. '71 was amazing - thanks for the tip off! THE NIGHT MANAGER was pretty good as well. I finished it last month!

      Delete
  5. Overlap! I watched Night Manager on Tv and very much enjoyed it, and also Lady in Van, which I liked, but wasn't overhwelmed by. And Notorious is one of my fave Hitchcocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maggie Smith not withstanding, overall okay but not as good as MARIGOLD HOTEL - either one. I probably would have NOTORIOUS below a few other Hitchcock's that I have seen.

      Delete