Sunday 2 November 2014

DANIEL PEMBREY - THE HARBOUR MASTER II: THE MAZE


Synopsis/blurb……

In the latest Harbour Master story, maverick Amsterdam cop Henk van der Pol roves further afield, to Rotterdam, Antwerp and Brussels – investigating a maze-like set of cases involving diamonds, fine art, drugs and high-class prostitution. What connects the cases, and what risks must Henk run to uncover the criminals? Impeding him is his rival and boss Joost, who has an equal but quite separate interest in the investigation’s outcome. Upon discovering the connection between the cases, Henk must confront challenges at a higher and more dangerous level of the Dutch state.

"Pembrey is a master of short form fiction. His snappy dialogue, tight plots and varied European settings guarantee a fast, enjoyable read that is hard to put down."
Paul Pilkington, author of the bestselling Emma Holden series (Hodder & Stoughton)

I read and enjoyed Daniel Pembrey’s earlier Harbour Master novella back in May. Our return visit sees Henk under pressure from above. He has a bit of a persecution complex going on with his boss. Hey – just because you’re paranoid doesn’t mean they’re not out to get you! His relationship with his wife seems solid though at times she’s not impressed by continually taking second place to the job. His connection to his daughter and her new Russian boyfriend, seems as difficult as previously. Nadia does have time for him, but only when she is after something in return.

We begin when Rem Lottman, a Dutch politician who moves and shakes it in EU circles in Brussels, calls in a favour from Henk. He wants him to smooth any difficulties when a Ghanaian diplomat enters the country, avoiding any custom’s scrutiny. Henk agrees in the belief that he can use Lottman’s influence later to get Joost off his back and recover some measure of control over his investigative unit.

As before we have a fast paced narrative with a lot going on…….stolen art work, smuggled diamonds, a dead Norwegian diplomat, a beaten prostitute, a Ukrainian biker gang, an old-school Dutch crime lord living on a boat and harvesting a £30 mill cannabis crop, politicians, corruption, military police…… to mention just a few strands.

Satisfying how much Pembrey packs into the tale in a short period of time – 100 odd pages, whilst still allowing our main man a life outside of his job. Character depth is important otherwise I have little interest in the outcome. Pembrey delivers again!
I can’t see that our author will endear himself to the Amsterdam tourist board with his depiction of this Dutch city! It worked for me though.

4 from 5

My review of the earlier Harbour Master tale is here. There’s a third installment entitled Ransom due out in December. I have already pre-ordered my copy.

Daniel Pembrey’s website is here.


I received my copy of this from the author in return for an honest review.

8 comments:

  1. I remember your review of the earlier book, will get to this series sometime, I do like the idea of the Amsterdam setting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe he will combine the three installments into one e-book? Worth a look if he does, or just bite the bullet and hop on board now! I liked it and have some of his other stuff non-Amsterdam to look at.

      Delete
  2. Col - Glad you enjoyed this one. I remember your earlier review and thinking at the time that I ought to try this. I need to read more Dutch crime fiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read very little myself. One van der Valk which I didn't particularly enjoy and Daniel Pembrey who seems to be more to my taste.

      Delete
  3. Novella length does sound good. Definitely worth a try. But got to get through some books I already have first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like this if you give it a try. Long enough to get a taste of his writing and developed enough so the main character has some depth.
      I envy your resolve in not submitting to the temptation though.

      Delete
  4. Col, that's one eye-catching cover. Amsterdam, from what I have read about it in newspapers and online, can throw up all kinds of possibilities in fiction. It can be an interesting setting for a novel and the author seems to have hit all the right notes in this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prashant, my son visited earlier this year with one of his friends. I'd like to take a trip there in the near future (next year or two) with my wife. For now I'll have to settle for reading about it.

      Delete