Sunday 19 May 2013

SEELEY JAMES - THE GENEVA DECISION (2012)


Synopsis/blurb......


About The Geneva Decision:



Pia Sabel plays to win.

Until a few weeks ago, she was an international soccer star. But now she’s taken the helm of her billionaire father’s private security company, and she’s playing against a whole new set of opponents – the kind who shoot to kill.

On her first day on the job, Pia’s client is assassinated in front of her. There’s no time for training, so Pia must trust her instincts and athletic skills to unravel the complicated maze of money laundering and piracy that will take her from Swiss mansions to the jungles of Cameroon.

Her battle-hardened employees suspect she’s just a spoiled rich girl with a mean corner kick. But Pia’s got some unexpected moves of her own. Will they be enough to bring her team through its mission?

What People Are Saying:



A fine thriller with intriguing locations, intricate plot twists and a complex heroine. – Kirkus Reviews

This book really got into its stride and kept going strong. I loved the character of Pia Sabel – there’s a girl Charlie Fox would team up with any day! -- Zoe Sharp, author of the Charlie Fox novels

Seeley James has created a protagonist that is strong and yet conflicted. This compelling heroine presents a multi-faceted character that mystery readers will enjoy getting to know in this first book and probably for many more to come. -- PJReviewofBooks.com

Female leads in bestselling thrillers are rarely this realistic and complete. She’s not panting over a man, not whining all the time, makes her own decisions and still kicks ass. Pia Sabel must be the love child of Suzanne Collins’ Katniss Everdeen and Lee Child’s Jack Reacher. -- ShortThrills Review

The Geneva Decision is superb....The non-stop intensity catapults the action from the first page to the last, never relaxing....Seeley James is definitely an author to watch in the future as he writes more featuring the undaunting Pia Sabel. -- Mysteries Galore

If you're an adrenalin junkie who enjoys breakneck pacing and action on every page, then The Geneva Decision is the book for you… A great debut for a new thriller series. -- William G. Davis, author of Pagan Moon.

I typically don’t have too much trouble being critical or voicing an opinion when I haven’t especially enjoyed a book that much. It is a little bit awkward this time, as I was offered a copy of the book by the author to read and review. However, I wouldn’t think that Mr James would expect or even want me to say his thriller rocked me, when it didn’t. Other comments, (see above) are more positive and I’m glad some folks got more out of it than I did.

One of my main difficulties was the basic plot. Rich bankers in Geneva are being eliminated by a military-style hit squad.......and who cares exactly? Not me, I’m afraid. Sabel Security, with the world famous footballing daughter of the founder newly on-board, had been invited for a meeting with the first assassinated banker. Pia, the star and new head of the company manages to catch the assassin, although shortly afterwards he manages to escape. Other bankers get their just desserts, err..... I mean get assassinated and Sabel Security are compelled to investigate the killings which are apparently linked to the several recent hijackings of some tankers at sea.    

Pia, our heroine, has to convince a sceptical bunch of Sabel agents to follow her to Cameroon to solve the mystery. The trip to Africa results in more gun-play and the loss of an agent, but uncovers more evidence of who is responsible for the whole affair. Another jaunt back to Europe, more investigating, more gun-play and we wrap the whole thing up.

About three-quarters of the way through, I asked myself; how I would feel if Pia was killed during one of the encounters with the villains. Answer, not that bothered.....and therein lays the second major difficulty I had with the book, I just didn’t feel the characters, even the main character, had enough depth for them to become real to me. As a consequence, whatever happened to them was unimportant. Maybe I have a problem with rich people, even well-meaning, benevolent, kind-hearted rich people, I don’t warm to them.

On a positive note, the action scenes were for the most part very well described. The plot and raison d’être for the book hung together well, so the author can write and construct a plot.........it just wasn’t one that engaged me on this occasion. I didn’t feel like giving up at any point during reading, so there was something about the mystery that ensured I kept reading to see how things resolved themselves.

Marks out of 5 then.......toying between a 2 and a 3. It wasn’t the least enjoyable book I have read this month, but it was far from the most either.

Did I enjoy it more than the others books I voted 2? Yes.

Did I enjoy it as much as the others books I read this month rated a 3? No.

Did I feel I wasted valuable reading time on this? No.

With apologies and thanks to Seeley James,

2 from 5

Copy received from the author.

  

2 comments:

  1. Col - Thank you for the honest review. You've hit on two things that always stop me: not caring about the main plot point and not finding anything to be interested in as far as the characters go. Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy this more than you did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot, thanks. Spooky timing on this review, what with your post recently on your blog. I'd be happier if I could enthuse about this a bit more, but hey, c'est la vie!

      Delete