Monday 26 November 2012

E L JAMES - FIFTY SHADES FREED (2012)


Blurb………

When unworldly student Ana Steele first encountered the driven, damaged young entrepreneur Christian Grey, it sparked a sensual affair that changed both their lives irrevocably. Shocked, intrigued, and ultimately repelled by Christian's singular sexual tastes, Ana demanded a deeper commitment; determined to keep her, Christian agreed. Now, together, they have more-love, passion, intimacy, wealth, and a world of infinite possibilities. But Ana always knew that loving her Fifty Shades would not be easy and being together poses challenges neither of them ever anticipated. Ana must somehow learn to share Christian's opulent lifestyle without sacrificing her own integrity, identity, or independence; Christian must somehow overcome his compulsion to control and lay to rest the horrors that blighted his past and haunt his present. Just when it seems that together their love can conquer any obstacle, tragedy, malice and fate combine to make Ana's worst nightmares come true. Alone and desperate, she must face down the poisoned legacy of Christian's past. Seductive, shocking, sad, and funny, Fifty Shades Freed is the compelling final volume in the trilogy.




Well I can’t say that I am sorry to have seen the back of these three books. The first was bearable, the second slightly less so and this one was just total torture from start to finish………….oh Christian, oh Ana, Oh Christian, Oh Ana, blah, blah, blah for nearly 600 pages.

The sex scenes were dull……..oh Christian, oh Ana, oh Christian, oh Ana, with a couple of ooohhs and aaahhhs thrown in.



DULL, DULL, REPETITIVE, BORING, COMPLETE AND UTTER MINCE FROM BEGINNING TO END, WITH SOME GRIM BITS IN THE MIDDLE.



Each copy should be sold with bottle of bleach that you can pour in your eyes just to make it stop!



I’m sure some people enjoyed it, but not me. Fortunately my wife agrees so we won't have to suffer like this again next year.


1 from 5 - on the basis that you can't give a book a ZERO (Am I too generous?)







6 comments:

  1. Rather you than me. I read one sentence (something about castles in the air) and had had quite enough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, Some part of me actually admires her, for.....getting away with it I suppose. And perhaps to a degree if she has encouraged people who wouldn't normally pick up a book to read, that's probably not a bad thing either.

    But, as someone who reads quite a lot and can tolerate less-well written books, if a narrative has pace, or an intriguing, plausible premise or a likeable main character,these were totally grim!

    I'm guessing you don't want me to forward them onto you? Haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say, Col, I agree with Sarah! And honestly, I wonder at the phenomenal success the books have had. It just makes me shake my head...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot, only now 2 and a half years on, can I laugh about them! :)

      Delete
  4. Really enjoyed the review. I didn't read them, but one time thought I ought to at least try them (so I could be judgemental) but didn't want to give her any money, so went into Oxfam shop and found one. Turned to the desk, and there serving was a very respectable older lady whom I knew through church. I lost my nerve and put it back... and never tried again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, you coward! You still ought to read one. Imagine if you enjoyed it, what a wonderful direction you could take the blog in.....

      Delete